Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Memories...





In thinking about my Dad, I was recalling a crazy hat story...

I'm not entirely sure how long ago this was, I'm thinking about two years before he passed away so 2005 ish. I was down to visit for one of my week stays with him and I noticed a new hat while I was picking up... now I say new, thing was it didn't look new, but I knew I hadn't seen it last time I was down. I picked it up and it was filthy looking. Not to mention it looked like someone had taken dirt rubbed it in wax and was attempting to make a wax hat candle! Dad was asleep he had just had one of his chemo's not too long before this so he napped a lot. I didn't want to wake him but I seriously wanted to wash this hat!! I kept cleaning around the house picking up... but I just can't wait to hear this story on this wax hat he has sitting here.

Now the funny part...

When Dad woke up it was just killing me... "Hey Dad... whats the story on the hat? Should I WASH it!!!! (oh please say yes cuz this thing looks horrible! Not that I have any idea of how to clean it other than boiling it in a big pot of water!)"

Oh no, I just bought that last week. Do you like it?
THAT'S NEW!
Laughing Dad said ya I might have over done it on the waterproofing just a bit.
Now why on earth would you say that? Does it have anything with it looking like a wax replica of a hat now!! Dad said well that's my second can on of waterproofing on this one hat...

(now for those of you who don't know about water proofing paste well you put on one coat, let it dry put on one more coat and your good to go for a couple years! One jar of waterproofing paste can cover an amazing amount of things. At the very least about 10 hats!)

... laughing I said... well I think you might be good for a flood now, but how did it get black?
Dad goes on... oh that... well I thought it looked too new so I took it out and ran it over with my truck a few times! Might have ran over it a few too many times too!

Leave it to my Dad totake a new hat use up one and a half cans of waterproofing on one little old thing and then go out and drive over it with his pickup truck to give it that 'aged' look! I must admit it looks pretty old now! Has that whole Indiana Jones and the temple of doom feel to it!

Oh that brings up another memory... this one goes back to 1990's. Dad loved the Indiana Jones movies now Mercedes wasn't even a year old so this had to be 1995. Dad ran up to the video store to rent a couple of movies, he was horrible about remembering what he had rented and hadn't rented. He pops in a video and its Indiana Jones and the temple of doom, he said ahh man I did it again. I have rented this about 19 times thinking that this is a new one! I need to tell the video store to quit letting me rent this movie!

I went to the new Indian Jones that came out this year and cried in the movie theater.. funny how things like that can make you miss someone. Doubt he would have liked the new one though... it wasn't much like the old films.

3 comments:

The Coleman Chronicles said...

Memories are what keeps our loved ones alive in our hearts and our minds!! You really should start a scrapbook with these memories so you will always have them to reflect back on and to share with your kids!!

Gina said...

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful memories here with us. I love it. The had story is great! Sounds just like Eddie!

The Insane Writer said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I'm a big Indiana Jones movie fan too.lol With one exception... I loved the new movie. Hope all is well. Noticed it's been a while since you blogged here!

~Joy

Mercedes

Mercedes
"Reflections"

Cody

Cody
"Inocents"